Studio: Nuno Valentim, Arquitectura e Reabilitação
Authors: Nuno Valentim, Frederico Eça, Margarida Carvalho
Nominator: Associação dos Albergues Nocturnos do Porto
Location: Porto, Portugal
Video: Building Pictures
The building belonging to Association of Porto shelter for the homeless although it is a non-listed building has numerous values linked with its urban integration, inner spatiality, decorative elements quality and naturally the value of use given to it.
Based on the diagnosis and preliminary programme, project sought to correct functional problems caused by inadequate interventions carried at over time, improve user comfort levels (seeking to adapt the possible use of available spaces) and solve the diagnosed pathologies and their causes.
The preliminary programme proposed the rehabilitation of this social equipment (a first line of aid to the homeless), searching most of all to improve reception/hosting conditions and increase its capacity (from 60 to 75 people).
The main functions and spatial distribution were maintained, however the project sought to improve overall conditions such as, interior space, natural light, ventilation and comfort. More specifically:
– Light and ventilation in all bedrooms, allowing direct contact with garden/street;
– Rationalization of beds per room; resizing to the minimum of 6 to a maximum number of 10 users (previously there had been dormitories with 17 users);
– Introduction of new bathrooms adapted to the programme, intensity of use and to the building;
– Appropriate infrastructures to the number of users, updated in order to optimize performance and comfort – hydraulic, electrical, gas, ventilation, heating installations as well as safety equipment;
– improvement of thermal and acoustic performance, insulation of roofs and constructive rehabilitation of existing windows;
– correction of previous interventions that diminished in any way the quality of the pre-existing building.